What are the uses of the EasyCard? Where can you buy them? How do you get a refund? What other regulations are there?
Source:Taipei Rapid Transit Corporation
Uses of the EasyCard: Taipei Metro, Maokong Gondola, buses, parking lot, Taiwan Railway, intercity buses, Youbike rental, taxis, libraries, designated stores, Taiwan High Speed Rail (co-branded EasyCards only), etc. For details, please visit the official website of the EasyCard Corporation.
How to buy an EasyCard:
1. Second-generation EasyCards (Adult and Concessionaire cards): The cards are sold outright without any deposit or disposable value, with invoices issued. The cards are available at all Taipei Metro information counters, convenience stores (i.e. 7-ELEVEN, FamilyMart, Hi-Life, OK mart) and EasyCard Service Centers.
2. Second-Generation Student EasyCards:
(1) The cards are sold outright without any deposit or disposable value, with invoices issued. The cards are available at all Taipei Metro information counters, convenience stores (i.e. 7-ELEVEN, FamilyMart, Hi-Life, OK mart) and EasyCard Service Centers.
(2) Users of the Second-generation Student EasyCard receive discounted travel for 20 days, starting from the first activation on a public bus in Taipei, New Taipei City or Keelung (fares are the same as Adult EasyCard afterwards). Cardholders are advised to register their card within 5 days of purchase. Upon receiving approval notice from the EasyCard Corporation, cardholders must take their card to a designated location (7-ELEVEN, FamilyMart, Hi-Life, OK Mart, EasyCard service centers, any Taipei Metro information counter or top-up machine) and register it to continue receiving student discounts.
1. EasyCards can be refunded at all metro station information counters, the EasyCard Corporation, and the EasyCard Corporation Service Center. Foreign residents can get a refund by using a self-addressed, prepaid, EasyCard Corporation envelope, available at commissioned convenience stores. 2. If the EasyCard has been used more than 5 times and was purchased more than 3 months ago, the NT$100 deposit will be refunded as well as the remaining credit. If the EasyCard has been used less than 5 times or was purchased less than 3 months ago, an additional service fee of NT$20 will be charged. 3. In the event that a deposit EasyCard is damaged by human factor, e.g. layers peeled apart, bent, cut, broken, defaced or have objects permanently attached to it, the EasyCard Corporation will make a deduction from the deposit at the time of refund based on the length of time the EasyCard has been held by the cardholder. (1) If the card has been held for less than 2 years, the whole sum of the NT$100 deposit will be deducted.
(2) If the card has been held between 2 and 3 years, NT$60 will be deducted for the damage. (3) If the card has been held between 3 and 4 years, NT$40 will be deducted for the damage. (4) If the card has been held between 4 and 5 years, NT$20 will be deducted for the damage.
(5) If the card has been held for more than 5 years, no deduction will be made for damage. (E.g.: Yoyo has had an EasyCard for 2 years and 5 months. At the time of her application for refund, the balance on the card is -NT$18, and the card had been intentionally altered. Therefore, when calculating the refund, the NT$18 that made up the shortfall in the remaining credit is deducted from the NT$100 deposit, then a further NT$60 is deducted for the damage to the card. Thus, her total refund is NT$22.) Instructions: 1. If your EasyCard has been overdrawn, you can ask any Taipei Metro information counter or the EasyCard Corporation for assistance. Once the application is received, the EasyCard Corporation will contact the customer within 7 working days. The refund will be paid out by bank transfer, posted check or refund notice.
2. The credit (or any part thereof) held on the card cannot be refunded except when returning the card for usage termination. 3. The same EasyCard must be used when entering and exiting transfer parking lots.
4. A one-time overdraft can be made If the transaction value is in excess of the available balance. However, you must then top up your EasyCard as soon as possible, as the card cannot be used as long as the balance remains negative (including for bus transfer). 5. Overdrafts are not permitted when using your EasyCard for small payments at commissioned stores. 6. For customer protection, the total value held on all EasyCards is held in the EasyCard Prepaid Trust Fund, managed by the assigned bank. All EasyCard deposits are protected by a 100% refund guarantee issued by the assigned Bank. For more information, please visit the website of the EasyCard Corporation at http://www.easycard.com.tw/english/index.asp or call our 24-hour customer service on +886-2-412-8880.